Drain & Sewer Repair in Concord & Charlotte, NC
Three Way Plumbing can help keep your water draining, whether you need a simple drain clearing or a total sewer replacement. We’re happy to recommend things you can do to prevent clogged drains from happening again.
Our highly trained plumbing technicians use state-of-the-art drain and sewer video cameras to see what’s happening deep in your drain and sewer lines without digging up lawns, cutting into walls, or breaking up concrete.
We serve the Charlotte metro area, including Concord, Huntersville, Lake Norman, Mooresville, and Weddington.
If you have a drain problem, contact us today.
Why Are My Drains Backed Up or Draining Slowly?
A backed-up or slow drain in your home could be the result of a stoppage in a single drain line, which shows up as standing water while showering, a sink that’s slow to drain, a washing machine that has water coming back up out of the pipe and spilling onto the floor, or a toilet that may not flush well.
Drain cleaning is the solution for a stoppage in one of the drain lines.
Why Is Waste Water Backing Up Into My Home?
Sometimes the main sewer line that exits your home and travels underground through the yard is the culprit of wastewater backing up into your tub/shower, or worse yet, overflowing out of a first-floor toilet.
It may be as simple as a clog causing a stoppage, or tree roots could have invaded the lines, blocking, cracking, or crushing the pipes. In an older line, settling dirt may have created a “belly” in the pipe: A low point where debris settles, creating a blockage.
One of the first symptoms of a sewer line issue or obstruction would be gurgling noises heard from a first-floor tub/shower or toilet. Your solution for that type of problem is sewer cleaning.
Once the flow is restored to the sewer line, it’s recommended to have a sewer camera inspection to see the cause of the problem, whether it was a clog, tree roots, or pipe damage, so it can be properly addressed to prevent it from happening again.
If a sewer repair is needed, our Three Way Plumbing technicians can use the camera to pinpoint the location and depth underground, allowing them to manage the repair with minimally invasive techniques.
Your home’s fixtures have water lines that deliver clean water to them, either hot or cold. Each fixture has a drain line for the wastewater from the fixture to exit and drain away from it. All the drain lines in the home eventually tie into the main drain or sewer line that takes the wastewater from your home to the city sewer system or a septic tank buried on the property.
All drain pipes are connected to a ventilation pipe that terminates through the roof to prevent the gases from drifting into your home. Most plumbing fixtures have a curved trap section that holds water to form an airtight seal to keep the gases from escaping into your home as well. See the diagram below.
Clogged Drain Prevention in Mecklenburg County
Most liquid products for clogged drains are caustic, dangerous, and not good for the life of the pipes you’re pouring them into. We recommend using BioOne, a professional drain maintenance product you apply monthly. We’ve found it’s safe for your home and great for preventing clogged drains.
Some of the frequently asked questions we get about drain and sewer repair in Charlotte, NC, include:
How do I unclog a bathroom sink?
Never put store-bought chemicals down any drain.
- 1/3 cup vinegar & 1/3 cup baking soda is often effective. Let it sit for about an hour.
- Boiling water may unclog soap-scum clogs, but be careful; it can also damage PVC pipes.
- Plunge with a regular plunger, not one with a flange.
How do I unclog a kitchen sink with a garbage disposal?
Never put store-bought chemicals down any drain. First, unplug the garbage disposal.
- Using a flashlight, look down the disposal for items like a bone or utensil. You may be able to reach it using pliers or tongs.
- Put ¼ cup baking soda down the drain, then add ½ cup vinegar. Let it sit for about a half-hour. Repeat if necessary.
- You can use a plunger, but it’s risky with dishwasher and disposal lines intersecting.
- While examining your disposal drain, ensure the disposal’s teeth are in good shape. Older disposals made of poor-quality materials can corrode, leaving you with a less effective disposal that sends more gunk down the drain and primes your system for clogs.
My bathtub is clogged and has standing water. What should I do?
Standing water, even in a bathtub, is a health risk.
- First, try using a plunger. If that works, run hot water for a minute or so to clear residual soap scum, etc.
- Remove all standing water using a bucket or wet/dry vac.
- Put ½ cup baking soda down the drain, followed by ½ cup vinegar. Use a stick to “work” the baking soda mixture down the drain until you hear fizzing/popping. Cover the drain with a washcloth. Wait a few minutes, then repeat the process and cover the drain with a cloth. Wait 30 minutes, then pour near-boiling water down the drain.
My drainpipe is grease-clogged. How can I clean it?
You should never put grease down your kitchen sink or disposal, but accidents happen. And don’t forget that washing dishes sends grease from your plates, pans, and utensils down the drain.
- One method is to pour a mixture of coarse salt and baking soda down the drain, followed by near-boiling water. Let it sit overnight or six to eight hours before flushing out with warm water.
- The classic method is 1 cup of baking soda followed by 1 cup of vinegar. Let it sit for about half an hour, then follow with water.
- We recommend BioOne for acute drain issues and ongoing drain maintenance. Its bacteria feed on organic residue in pipes, including hair, soap scum, and grease, so your drains can stay clean and clear.
why choose three way plumbing?
With over 20 years of experience as a trusted plumber in Charlotte, NC and surrounding areas, we have proven our ability to provide fast, high-quality plumbing repair, replacement, and installation service. Our friendly team members are dedicated to getting to the root of your problem, not merely a band-aid fix. Expect upfront, transparent, and respectful services from start to finish.
- Regular Saturday Appointments
- 100% Guarantee
- 30 Minute Call-Ahead
- WAREHOUSE ON WHEELS
- Honest Pricing