Benefits & Myths of Tankless Water Heaters
Even though tankless water heaters have been out there for years, many people still find the concept of a tankless water heater mystifying. This is understandable, as there is a lot of misinformation about tankless water heaters and what they can and can’t do.
This blog covers the benefits and myths about tankless water heaters.
Benefits of Tankless Water Heaters
- Only heats the amount of water needed: A tankless water heater — or “on demand” water heater — is just as the name implies. This means you’re not paying to keep 40 gallons of water hot all day, every day, regardless of your need. A tankless water heater is controlled by a thermostat that regulates the water temperature and cuts off the power supply when the temperature exceeds the one you set. This means you’re only heating the amount of water you need and your water heater is working efficiently.
- Saves money on utility bills: Since you’re not paying to heat water all day, every day, that you may or may not need or use, it will save you money on your electric/gas bills each month. Most studies show savings of 20% on monthly utility bills.
- Short-term expense: Tankless water heaters may cost more initially, but many of these costs can be offset by local, state, and federal rebates and tax incentives for conserving energy. This is a short-term expense for long-term gain. Financing without interest is a great option for purchasing and installing a tankless water heater.
Tankless Water Heater Myths
- Tankless water heaters are maintenance-free: MYTH (sort of!). You should have your water heater inspected and cleaned by a professional. Manufacturers recommend one to two years. This will prolong the life of your system and is no different than the type of maintenance you should be performing on your standard water heater, as all manufacturers recommend.
- Tankless water heaters take up less space: MYTH (sort of!). Tankless water heaters are smaller. They take up less floor space because they’re not installed on the floor. Tankless units are mounted on a wall. While they’ll clear some floor space, they’ll need wall space — but not much. A typical tankless water heater is about 20″ high, 25″ wide, and 5″ deep. And with the versatility of where they can be installed – outdoors, crawl space, attic, garage, closet – you could gain all that space where the large holding tank is now.
- Tankless water heaters are for everyone: MYTH. While they often make sense for most people, they’re not for everyone. In some cases, the plumbing and electrical configurations can dictate what can and can’t be done. While most plumbing and electrical issues can be reconfigured to accommodate a tankless water heater, some people prefer to stick with what they know. And that’s okay too.
There are many other myths and misconceptions about tankless water heaters online. I would never have a standard tank in my home, and I have been using tankless water heaters for over 20 years.
There are so many benefits to tankless water heating. However, I must give caution when it comes to energy saving and teenagers. Teenagers like to stand in the hot shower for long periods of time. I have even found my kids growing up spending over an hour in the shower.
We once had a customer who said the upstairs of her home was like a dorm with four boys. Once the tankless went in, the boys were all taking much longer showers, so instead of seeing the energy-saving costs, the bills were rising due to the much higher consumption.
She loved her tankless water heater but wanted a solution. We went in and made it so the shower handle wouldn’t go all the way into the hot side. The boys started taking much shorter showers because the water was only lukewarm and no longer hot.
They begged their mom to call us many times. She and her husband enjoyed the endless hot water whenever they wanted, and the issue with the boys using more than double the energy and water was fixed.
Whether you choose a tankless water heater or a standard tank water heater, Three Way Plumbing is ready to help. We’ll walk you through your options and help you decide which water heater is right for your home.
A well-educated customer is a happy customer, and we want happy customers! Contact our team today to learn more.
704-795-9349 Contact Us Today!
why choose three way plumbing?
With over 20 years of experience as a trusted plumber in Charlotte, NC and surrounding areas, we have proven our ability to provide fast, high-quality plumbing repair, replacement, and installation service. Our friendly team members are dedicated to getting to the root of your problem, not merely a quick fix. Expect upfront, transparent, and respectful services from start to finish.
- Regular Saturday Appointments
- 100% Guarantee
- 30 Minute Call-Ahead
- WAREHOUSE ON WHEELS
- Honest Pricing