Leak Detection Specialists for Homes & Businesses in the Greater Charlotte Area
I Know I Have a Leak
So you have a strong suspicion that you have a leak, but you don’t know where? There’s not a minute to lose. Your home or property is at risk to serious damage. Contact us immediately at 704-535-4795 Charlotte, 704-766-0049 Huntersville, 704-795-9349 Concord!
I’m Not Sure if I Have a Leak
Sometimes you just aren’t sure. Here are some ways you can tell if you may actually have a leak, which will require immediate attention.
Signs of potential leaks in and around your home:
- You can hear the continuous sound of water inside your house (like a toilet running or someone left the outside spigot on) when nothing is actually turned on.
- Your water meter reading changes when you aren't using any water. Here’s what to do: Mark the indicator on your meter; don't use any water for an hour; then check the meter. If the indicator moved, you may have a leak.
- Your water bill is higher over a period of weeks or months. (Compare your bills month to month.) They should be fairly steady unless you filled your pool, hot tub, or are using an in-ground sprinkler system in the summer.
- Inside, your walls or floors have wet, spongy, moist or discolored areas when nothing has been spilled on them.
- You can smell foul odors coming from floors or walls near drains or sewers. This can be either inside or outside your home.
- If the foundation in your home cracks, vegetation grows unevenly, or earth shifts for no apparent reason, this could be the sign of a leak under or around your home.
- You find warm spots on your floor, particularly on a concrete slab floor.
- If you notice that your water pressure has been decreasing (at multiple fixtures.)
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, contact us. We will evaluate the situation and troubleshoot commonly occurring problems to find the cause. If needed, we have hi-tech electronic leak detection equipment that can pinpoint hard to find underground leaks as well as leaks inside your slab foundation.
Home Leak Detection Tips
- Get some food coloring, put a few drops into the tank in each toilet. Wait 20 minutes and look at the water in the bowl, if it is colored – you have a leaking toilet.
- If you have a high water bill, look at your water meter. If no water is running in the house but the meter is spinning, turn off the main water shut off to your house, If the meter is still spinning you have a leak somewhere between the meter and the house. This is not an emergency but should be addressed as you are wasting water.