Garbage Disposal Jammed or Not Performing?
Three Way Plumbing can help get you out of a jam… your garbage disposal that is! Or if you want to replace your sluggish old garbage disposal with a new high performance one, our plumbing trucks are stocked and ready to offer garbage disposal repair to the Charlotte area including Mooresville, Concord, Lake Norman, Huntersville, and the Weddington areas.
What are the common signs that your garbage disposal is not performing properly?
If your kitchen sink runs slow or continuously stops up, the most common cause of this is food particles not being ground up small enough to wash out of your pipes. This can happen if your garbage disposal blades have corroded over time and are no longer close enough to grind everything small enough. Three Way Plumbing offers Charlotte garbage disposal repair and replacement when your disposal wears out.
Do you have a foul odor that lingers from your kitchen sink area? Try grinding ice cubes down your disposal to clean away the particles sticking to your blades.
If your garbage disposal hums when you turn it on or doesn’t turn on at all, it could be a result of a jamming due to something stuck in the disposal that can’t be ground. When this happens turn to Three Way Plumbing in Charlotte for garbage disposal repair. Sometimes the blades are not grinding the particles small enough to pass through the strainer and wash out of the pipes, and we may not be able to repair. Garbage disposals in Charlotte are available for sale brand new with installation from Three Way Plumbing.
Beware! Not All Garbage Disposals Are Created Equal
The best garbage disposals have stainless steel, NOT galvanized, grind components so the garbage disposal does not rot out and the teeth do not get ground down rendering them ineffective. Look for cutting teeth that are closer together so that everything gets ground up small and can wash through your pipes freely. High rpm motors and longer warrantees are also features of premium high performance models. Compare our top-of-the-line garbage disposals from The Piranha to a standard garbage disposal you can find at box stores in the chart below. Although premium garbage disposals cost more initially, they provide a better long term value along with high performance that you’ll enjoy in your kitchen every day! Contact us to discuss which one is best for you and schedule your installation.
Helpful Tips: What Can and What Can’t Go Down A Garbage Disposal:
- A good general rule of thumb is if you don’t eat it, you shouldn’t put it down the garbage disposal. That covers things like bones, eggshells, thick rinds and fish tank gravel.
- It is not a good idea to put pasta or rice down a garbage disposal as it continues to expand when it absorbs more water. Really stringy vegetables like celery or hard ones like carrots are also not garbage disposal friendly.
- When pouring grease or melted butter into the disposal or drain, run cold water not hot water.
- Grind ice cubes to sharpen blades and run a baking soda & vinegar mixture through to clear up smelly food bits.
- Adding 2 oz of BioOne once a month is ideal for keeping your garbage disposal and drains clear and fresh smelling.