The Wonderful World of Water Heaters
After Installing Well Over 5000 Hot Water Heaters in Charlotte Area Homes, We Know Hot Water!
A hot bath or shower. Clean laundry. Running the dishwasher. All part of our day. But none of them would be possible without hot water… something we take for granted… at least until it’s gone.
Three Way Plumbing can help keep you in hot water… whether you need a water heater repair or want to replace your old hot water heater with a shiny new high efficiency one or you want to know more about how you can have instant hot water. Our Charlotte hot water heater and plumbing technicians are experts and are available to serve all of the Greater Charlotte area including Lake Norman, Mooresville, Concord, Huntersville, and the Weddington areas.
Types of Hot Water Heaters in the Charlotte Metro Area:
Water heaters in the Charlotte area may be a gas water heater, electric water heater, propane water heater, or solar water heater. But when it comes to water heaters types, you basically have three choices: traditional tank water heaters; tankless water heaters which provide your Charlotte home with hot water on demand, or hybrid water heaters which combine features from both traditional and tankless water heaters.
What is the average life of a water heater?
The average life of a traditional tank water heater is 8-12 years and the average life of a tankless water heater is 25 years. You can extend the life of your water heater with regular maintenance. Caution: If your tank water heater is 5 years or older and has not been flushed within the last year, do not flush it as that may cause leaks due to the sediment buildup in the tank sealing minor holes.
A potential danger of an older water heater is failure of the tank integrity. According to the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety, by the time a water heater reaches age 12, nearly 75% have failed and 69% of all water heater failures result from a slow leak or a sudden burst. If the tank bursts, 30-50 gallons of water flooding your home can cause major damage.
What Are Signs That Your Charlotte Home Needs Water Heater Repair?
- Temperature is too hot or too cold
- Not enough hot water
- Water smells or tastes bad
- Gas smell coming from water tank
- Rumbling or banging noises
Learn more about water heater repairs or schedule an appointment for your repair now.
When Should A Water Heater Be Replaced?
- If tank is leaking
- If unit has signs of rusting or water is rusty
- When repair is not cost effective
- If you want to upgrade to a more efficient model
- If it is 8 years or older to be pro-active to avoid potential water damage to your home
How to Choose The Right Hot Water Heater for Your Charlotte Home
Consider the following factors for your family’s needs and wants and any space restrictions in your home...
- Size & Gallons Heated Per Hour. A family of 5 all trying to get ready in the morning need a bigger capacity and/or more gallons heated per hour than a couple.
- No Cold Showers, Ever. If you would like endless hot water whenever you want it at your home in Charlotte, a tankless water heater or hybrid model may be for you.
- Water Heater Location. Newer tank models are wider and taller than past models so may not fit in tight spaces.
- Energy Savings are Important. A high efficiency tankless water heater can pay for itself in a short number of years.
- Water Conservation is Key. An on-demand water circulating system is designed to move hot water to your most remote fixture on demand within seconds and the cool water you normally let run down the drain is circulated back to the water heater through the cold water line.
- You Like Being Green. Tankless water heaters and water circulators are very eco-friendly.
Read more about traditional tank water heaters, tankless water heaters and hybrid water heaters or schedule an appointment with one of our water heater experts who will help you choose the right water heater for your family’s needs.